Monday, September 17, 2012

Post Vacation Blues

I'M BAAAACK!

Although I do feel like I've been gone forever, that does NOT make it any easier to come back to work (especially on a Monday).  My vacation was marvelous and very relaxing.  I did a whole lot of nothing for a whole week.  It was so nice to be able to sleep in and enjoy my days instead of rushing around all stressed out about work.  

So last Thursday was my first day off and since Vinnie had that day off too we decided to spend the whole day together which is something we never get to do.  We planned on going to Six Flags since cold weather is fast approaching and we both haven't been there in a really long time.  We drove all the way there (about an hour away) and were just like little kids, filled with excitement.  Much to our dismay, we turned the corner and saw big gates that read "ONLY OPEN ON WEEKENDS".  Apparently after Labor Day Six Flags is only open on weekends and since this day was a Thursday we were SOL.  We were both sooo bummed but we couldn't let it ruin our day.  So we went to Navy Pier instead.  It was not nearly as fun as Six Flags would have been but we still had fun.  We decided we are going back to Six Flags when they open it up again for Fright Fest in October.  We just strolled along the pier and stopped at a bar for a couple of drinks.  It was a beautiful day so we definitely enjoyed ourselves.



Then we headed to a place called Haymarket in downtown Chicago for a little dinner.  It was a brewery so we even got to try out some new brews.  The food and beer were both very good.  After that we stopped by a bar called Northside because one of my co-workers was having a going away party (she's leaving the company for a new job).  By this time we were beat so we went home and fell asleep shortly after.

We got up early (kinda) on Friday and went golfing before I headed off to Iowa.  I left Marley with Vinnie and I normally bring him with me when I visit my parents.  This is the longest I had ever been away from Marley.  I missed that little guy!

It' kind of hard to see but that's Marley's little head peaking out of the window and watching me get into my car to leave for Iowa.  Little guy almost broke my heart!  He's adorable.

So I got to Iowa around 6 or 7 pm and my parents and I decided just to stay in that night and relax.  We had a couple of drinks and caught up with each other before calling it a night.

My first Oktoberfest beer of the year!  My dad loves Blue Moon so naturally he had Blue Moon Pumpkin Harvest Ale.  This is one of the pint glasses I got my dad for Father's Day too!

Saturday we slept in but eventually got up and went to the driving range.  All three of us now have clubs so this was the first time we got to hit golf balls together and practice on our game.  None of us are very good but we had fun!  We came back home and got cleaned up then headed over to a place called 'On the River' for some dinner.  This place had a huge patio and there was a great band playing that night.  The weather was beautiful too.  We had some dinner and a few drinks then headed over to 'Kelly's' which is our favorite bar.  It is also right down the street from where my parents live.  We ended the night there after a drink and a vegas bomb (my parents love these!).

Just a little sidenote - sorry I didn't take many pictures while on my little vacation.  I forgot my camera so all the pictures I have are with my iPhone.  I usually love pictures but I guess I was just too busy relaxing to remember to take many.

Sunday morning we got up and headed to downtown Davenport where there was a little art festival.  We saw some pretty cool art of all kinds and I even bought a few little things from a local artist who hand crafted mugs and other utensils.  Then we headed home to catch the second half of the Bears first football game (which they won)!  This night we headed to a place called 'The Captain's Table' which was also right on the river.  We ate outside again and this place had amazing seafood.  We stopped by RedBox on the way home and rented a movie.  We ended this night a little early.

Monday we headed to Le Claire which is a neat little town real close to Davenport.  If you've ever seen American Pickers on TV, this is where their place is located.  This day their store was even closed because they were filming all day.  We stopped by a couple of other little shops and I bought some of my favorite vodka from Mississippi River Distillery.  We had a light lunch at The Blue Iguana where they had Blue Iguana margaritas for only $2.  So naturally we all got one.





We then stopped at another bar for a few more drinks before heading home.  My parents neighbors who live across the street stopped over this night for a visit.  They are awesome people and I always try to visit with them when I'm in town for a visit.  It was another nice night so we spent it out on my parent's patio.

Tuesday was my parent's 30th Anniversary.  I'm truly so happy for them.  30 years is a long time and they are just as happy as ever.  They are my two biggest role models and I look up to them so much.  I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have parents like them.  I'm so glad I got to spend so much time with them.  I wished them a happy anniversary when I got up on Tuesday then headed on my way.  I stopped by my sister's house to visit her and my niece and nephew.  It was so good to see them.  I left after dinner though because I had to get back home and it was about a 3 hour drive from their house.



Marley was waiting for me when I got home!  I spent the rest of the night with him.  The next day I got up and made chocolate chip muffins.  Vinnie and I spent some time together before he had to go to work.  I then did some laundry and cleaned the apartment up a bit before buying some groceries and cooking some dinner.  I made a concoction of sausage, potatoes, onion, and peppers.

I found the recipe here.  It was really easy to make but I would have added a little more sausage and more banana peppers.

Thursday Vinnie and I went to the driving range and then he had to work again.  I ended up going to Target and buying some fall/halloween decorations for the house.  I didn't take any pictures but I found some awesome stuff for a great price!

My mom actually bought this for me while I was visiting in Iowa.  'The Toasting Couple'.

Candy corn and Peanuts have been a fall tradition in my family for years. Yummy!
I also came up with a new fall drink.  Just mix 1 part bourbon, 2 parts gingerale, and 2 parts apple cider.  I used Wild Turkey bourbon but you don't need much to start feeling this drink.  It's delicious though.

Yummy fall cocktail

Friday was a lazy day until I had to work that night.  I was definitely feeling very blue heading back to work that night.  I could really get used to sleeping in and then getting up, making breakfast (me and Vinnie made breakfast Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday morning), and not having a care in the world.  The rest of my weekend consisted of work.  Literally I worked from 3 until 12:45 on Saturday and from 1 until 10 pm on Sunday.  Then I had to get up early today and go to work and of course I'm working tonight too.  Oh and I'm doing the same thing tomorrow.  So it's literally back to the grind for this girl.  I'm not feeling as blue anymore but I still miss being on vacation and spending so much time with my parents.  But at least I have Wednesday and Thursday nights off to do something with my love...oh and with Vinnie too (just kidding of course). 

Happy Monday everyone!  I hope you all had a fabulous weekend.  Fall is just around the corner...YAY!

xoxo



 

2 comments:

  1. looks like a cute little vacation! yay for Fall - thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops just realized I commented on my husbands account

    looks like a cute little vacation! yay for Fall - thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete