Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Weekend Full of Celebrations

This week is kind of flying by.  I can't believe it's already Thursday.  I guess that's what happens when you take a vacation day on Monday so you don't start your work week until Tuesday.  Monday should be included in the weekend.  Seriously, who do I need to talk to in order for this to happen? 

I was a lucky girl and had a four day weekend this past weekend because my brother was graduating.  I headed to Iowa (parents' house) Thursday night after work.  We drank a couple of banana bread beers and then headed to bed.  Quick story about banana bread beer (besides the fact that it's to die for): Last year when Vinnie and I still lived in the suburbs we stopped in bar that we had heard about called Bigby's Pour House.  This bar only serves craft beer and wine.  They don't have any fancy cocktails or even any liquor.  From the outside it looks kind of trashy but on the inside you'll be pleasantly surprised by the comfortable, cool atmosphere.  It's very small but makes you feel like you're hanging out in your buddy's pimped out garage with a bunch of couches, tables, and seats.  We loved this place.  Anyways, we tried Well's Banana Bread beer for the first time while we were visiting this place and fell in love.  We have not been able to find it anywhere since then.  Imagine my surprise when I get to my parents' house last weekend and my dad pulls out the same banana bread beer and asks me if I've ever tried it.  Good start to the weekend if I do say so myself.

Find me and try me now!

Friday morning we woke up and packed up the car to head to St. Louis.  I realized when I was driving to Iowa the night before that I forgot my dress I was planning on wearing to Kiefer's graduation.  Face palm.  Luckily I found a dress at my parent's house that I had worn to a wedding a couple of years ago so I didn't have to go out and waste money on a new dress.  I did however have to run to Target to buy some shoes to match my dress but new shoes never hurt anyone right?

The drive to St. Louis was a long one but we finally made it there around 6 or 7.  We all grabbed a quick bite to eat and then headed back to Kiefer's apt (which is a tiny one bedroom apt btw).  We decided to watch 'Silver Linings Playbook' (my second time watching it, still love it) and then head to bed.  How did the four of us sleep in a tiny one bedroom apt?  Well, my parents slept in Kiefer's bed, Kiefer slept on his futon, and I slept on a single blow-up air mattress.  Not my best 2 nights of sleep but I can't complain. 

We woke up early Saturday morning, all got ready, and then headed to The Muny theater in St. Louis for my brother's graduation.





His graduation lasted about 4 hours, which was 3 too many in my book but he did it!  The youngest of the siblings graduated and my parents can now proudly say that all 3 of their kids have their college degrees.

We grabbed some lunch at a little cafe and then came back to his apartment and celebrated with champagne!



And then we all took a 2 hour nap. 

That night we headed to an Irish pub called Llewelyn's for dinner and more celebrations.  It was a cool place.  It wasn't fancy but Kiefer picked it and he's not fancy so it worked well for all of us.  




After dinner we headed back to Kiefer's to consume cake and watch a Korean horror film that he chose.  I was skeptical because we had to watch it with subtitles but it was Kiefer's night and he recommended it.  It turned out to be pretty good.


Also, Saturday just so happened to be the night that my niece, Emma, had her very first dance recital.  That's why my sister wasn't with us for Kiefer's graduation.  We wished she could have been there because we all have so much fun together.  We also all wished we could have seen Emma dance as a little bumble bee but the picture below that Shanna sent us all would have to do.
 
Cutest bumble bee I ever did see!
Sunday was Mother's Day so we all got up, ate cake for breakfast, got ready, and headed to lunch to celebrate my amazing mom.


We said good-bye to Kiefer and headed back on the road.  We got to stop about half way back to Iowa to see 2 of my aunts and my uncle, whom I haven't seen in a very long time.  Even though we didn't get to visit with them for long I am so glad it worked out and we were able to stop and see them.  

By the time we got back to Iowa it was pretty late.  My mom, dad, and I drank a glass of wine together and watched SNL before heading to bed.  

I had to get on the road pretty early Monday morning because I had to work that night and heading back to Chicago during rush hour traffic is not something I'm too fond of.  

This weekend was filled with family and celebrations and I am so glad.  A nice, relaxing weekend with my family was just what I needed.

XO, Tarah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment