Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Thinspiration

Hi ya'll!  I hope everyone survived their Monday!  I know I almost didn't...I had a rough go at it yesterday.  I was very forgetful, clumsy, unlucky, and tired all day yesterday!  It didn't help that I worked the patio last night and it was INSANE!  It was a gorgeous night so I can't blame everyone for sitting outside but the rest of the restaurant was dead and I was getting murdered!  Come on people!  Didn't they know that I had worked all day at my other job and all I wanted to do was sit outside on a patio and drink?!?  Anyways the night ended up going by pretty fast since I was so busy and needless to say, by the time I got home I was a zombie.  I was asleep before my head even hit my pillow...and I must have slept pretty good because I'm feeling pretty lively today.  Hallelujah!

So now that I finally got a membership to a gym I've been looking for different workouts to do.  I used to always just go to the gym and wing it but I think I get more done and am more productive if I have some sort of a plan.  I've also found a few gym accessories that I am putting on my wishlist.  Of course, since I am trying to save money right now I probably won't be buying anything from my wishlist anytime soon (even if I would put them to good use!).

Thinspiration



So I found this workout at a website called Every College Girl.  It's a great website with lots of posts about things that every college girl should know (probably to avoid that freshman 15 that happens to oh so many college girls).  This workout is called the 100 Workout.  

 The 100 Workout:
  • 100 jumping jacks
  • 90 crunches
  • 80 squats
  • 70 leg lifts
  • 60 jumping jacks
  • 50 crunches
  • 40 squats
  • 30 leg lifts
  • 20 jumping jacks
  • 10 minutes of running

It's great because it's a short, but intense, workout that you can get done quick if you don't have a lot of time but that still works you out pretty hard.  This is also nice because you don't have to be at a gym to do this workout, you can do it anywhere.  Since I have such a hectic schedule this workout will be nice if I can't make it to the gym.  You can even modify it a little bit to make it longer and work you out harder if you have more time, or you can just repeat it a couple of times.  

I also found a 45 minute treadmill interval workout at Fit Sugar.  This is a great workout for the treadmill because it is going to work you out hard because you are running in intervals and it's going to keep your interest and keep you into the workout because your constantly watching the time and switching paces.  You aren't just running at the same pace and watching TV or looking around the gym.  


 On this website they say, "Intervals are the antidote to boring treadmill workouts. Playing around with speed and timing rest periods keeps both the mind and body busy. Interval training is also one of the best ways to beat belly bulge".  I agree!

Something I've actually wondered for a while is what to eat after you work out.  Right after I work out I always feel really good about myself, but I don't want to negate all of that good that I just did by eating a couple slices of chocolate cake with a side of cookie dough ice cream (ok, maybe I do want to do this but I try to avoid it).  I found a post at Every College Girl that tells the perfect post-workout snacks for any workout:

If you did cardio…
A cardio-intense workout like going on a run or doing interval training means that you need to replenish fluids and go for healthy carbohydrates.
One great snack is oatmeal and milk with a sliced banana. Another option is whole grain toast with cottage cheese and jam. Lastly, a glass of milk and a banana and greek yogurt is another great choice.

If you did strength and cardio…
If you added weight lifting to your cardio workout, you will want to strive for a 3:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio for your post-workout snack. In total, about 70 grams of carbs and 20 grams of protein.
Your best option for this workout is a protein shake with lots of fruit and yogurt, or try a sweet potato with greek yogurt. A salmon filet with a side of fruit is also a healthy alternative.

If you did strictly strength…
If your workout consisted of pure weightlifting, your post-workout snack should focus on protein to rebuild your muscles and jump start the toning process!
There are many options when it comes to a post-weightlifting snack. First, try a vegetarian omelette with a side of salsa or dark greens, or opt for this with egg whites. Another option is tofu with dark greens and asparagus or broccoli. Lastly, a chicken breast or tilapia with broccoli is another great alternative.

Ok, so now I know!

And now for the things that I am adding to my fitness wishlist:

Nike Free Run + 3

Water bottles with storage compartment!
 Those Nike shoes are supposed to be awesome running shoes and they're really cute too!  The water bottles have a storage compartment in the front so that you can store money, credit cards, even a key to your house or locker if you have no where else to put it.  This is nice if your gym doesn't have lockers or if you don't have a lock to put on your locker!

True that!


Ok now I want to go to the gym!!!!  I hope I keep this inspiration throughout the day because I'm hopefully going to hit the gym a little later tonight.  But it is my only night off so me and Vinnie are planning on going to the driving range (at least that's a good workout if I don't hit the gym), taking Marley for a walk, and getting ice cream (whatever, sometimes it's good to be bad!).  So if I can't fit the gym into this little schedule tonight I think I will be able to deal.  I'm just looking forward to spending a nice night with my love.

Have a lovely day everyone! xoxo!


 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE your post!!! We have a linkup called Inspire Me - Healthy on Thursdays!! You should link up with us!!! This post could really help others!!

    -Kristen
    www.allinmytwenties.blogspot.com - Scroll to Thursdays post and you will see it!!

    ReplyDelete