Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Warby Parker

If you're anything like me and you have terrible eyesight but you hate wearing glasses, then you're only option is contacts.  Contacts are great but sometimes I don't feel like wearing them or, on days like today, my allergies start acting up and my eyes get all puffy and red and the last thing I want to do is put contacts in my eyes to irritate them even more (Dear Chicago Weather, I hate you).  I got my first pair of glasses in 8th grade and refused to wear them because I was so self conscious about how awful they made me look.  Luckily, new companies have started popping up and now there are a lot more options for cool, stylish glasses that actually add a little something to your outfit and are easy to style.  It also doesn't hurt that I grew out of my awkward 13 year old self and into the young, sophisticated lady that I am today(sarcasm), but seriously, I have found some glasses that actually don't make me cringe when I look in a mirror while wearing them or make me feel self conscious about leaving the house to go out in public.

Warby Parker is a company that sells prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses online. 

Ames - Whiskey Tortoise

I was first intrigued by this company because of their new Fall Collection for 2013.  This collection has a vintage-inspired theme and I must say, I dig em.  Their newest collection recalls the shaky years when social change was nearing take-off, just before the Surgeon General denounced smoking and hemlines creeped north.  The collection debuts five new frames in a mix of materials - bold acetate in rich, autumnal colors at the brow and nose, and stainless steel-rimmed lenses.  Each name is a respectful bow to some of the most famous literary references of time - Ames, Ripley, Rowan, Holcomb, and Ellison.  The 15 options provide midcentury style without the flea market goose chase.  They're instant classics. just like the works of the literary references they are named after.  

Duckworth - Oak Barrel

You would think that the price of their frames would be pretty expensive because they offer a high quality, unique product.  Warby Parker designs glasses in-house and sells directly to customers avoiding the middleman as well as retail markups. 

My favorite part about this company is their 'Buy a pair, give a pair' program.  Give me a company that offers an awesome product and gives back to those in need and I will support them any day.  Almost one billion people worldwide lack access to glasses which means that 15% of the global population cannot effectively learn or work.  Warby Parker is addressing this problem head on by giving a pair of glasses to someone in need every time a pair of glasses is sold.  Everybody has the right to see.  2 thumbs up Warby Parker!

Holcomb - Marbled Sandstone

They also created their second TV commercial recently, which aimed to capture their enthusiasm for their new Fall 2013 Collection.  You can view this commercial here.  I love the vintage theme, edginess, and boldness of this collection and seeing real people wear them helps you get a feel for how you can style these glasses.

I posted some pictures of my favorite new styles but there are a lot more.  Don't forget they offer sunglasses as well.  The Fall 2013 Collection launches today so if you are in the market for new glasses, visit their website and get to shopping!  You can thank me later (or thank me right now).

XO. Tarah


* I was not paid or given anything by Warby Parker to write this blog post.  These are the real opinions of little ol' me and I really do support this company.  


No comments:

Post a Comment