Monday, November 5, 2012

Flashback and a Salad Recipe

Monday.  Boo you whore!  I obviously watched a little 'Mean Girls' over the weekend.  That movie just doesn't get old.  Ever.

I don't have much of a weekend recap for you today because I didn't really do much over the weekend.

Friday night I didn't have to work (for once) so I met my friend Megan at a restaurant called 'Fountainhead' for dinner and drinks.  I have been friends with Megan since I was in jr. high.  We were literally inseparable back then.  Every weekend we had sleep overs at each others houses.  We stayed friends throughout high school and even college.  Now that we are both adults it's a little harder to keep in contact but, here's the kicker, we both live in Chicago.  There is seriously no excuse for why we don't hang out more because we live minutes away from each other.  Not many of our close friends live close to us anymore so even though we are both very busy with our lives and work, we both decided that we need to start making more effort to hang out with each other.  Our dinner was amazing, the drinks were going down smooth, and the conversation was endless.  We had fun.  Of course I forgot to take any pictures while we were together so I went through facebook and found some good oldies of me and Megan.

This actually isn't old.  At our friend's wedding this summer.  Megan is all the way to the right.

This is a couple years ago at the wedding of our close friend Jenna.

Summer 2010

Summer 2010

Summer 2010

Summer 2010

4th of July 2010

Megan's Birthday - December 2009
Aww.  This makes me miss those college days!

I got home around 9:30 pm and Vinnie wanted to go to a movie but since I'm an old geezer I was too tired to go out anymore.  I passed out at about 10:30 pm.  My poor boyfriend, he didn't know he was going to be dating such a lame-o after she turned 25.  What happened to me?!

Anyways, Saturday I lounged around all day until I had to work at 7.  I had to close that night and I ended up not getting home and in bed until about 4 am, yikes!  So I obviously slept in on Sunday and got up just in time to watch the Bears game.  Then I went shopping for ingredients for what I was planning on making for dinner that night and Vinnie cleaned our apartment because his mom and her boyfriend came over for the first time to see our apartment and eat dinner.  I was so nervous about dinner but it ended up being awesome!  I cooked sausage and cheese stuffed jumbo pasta shells!  I'm saving the recipe for later in the week but here's a picture:

MMMMM.  My mouth is watering just thinking about that meal.  Vinnie's mom and her boyfriend, Scott, also thought the meal was delicious.  I also made a pretty tasty salad and I will share that recipe.  It's a candied walnut salad and it's perfect if you are looking for a salad that isn't your typical spinach, carrots, tomatoes, and ranch dressing salad.

Candied Walnut Gorgonzola Salad:

Original Source




Ingredients:
1/2 cup walnut halves
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups mixed greens
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese
1 tbsp raspberry vinaigrette
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil

Directions:
1. Place walnuts and sugar in a skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves into a light brown liquid and coats the walnuts,  Remove walnuts from skillet, and spread them out on a sheet of foil to cool.

2. Place in a large salad bowl the mixed greens, cranberries, cheese, vinaigrette, vinegar, and olive oil.  Toss gently; add candied walnuts, toss again.

So the only thing I did different with this recipe is I didn't use the vinaigrette, vinegar, and olive oil for the dressing.  I kept it simple and easy and just used a light raspberry vinaigrette dressing by Kraft.  It was delicious.



This salad was really good.  Definitely not a typical dinner salad though!  We had my Halloween brownies for dessert and we all drank a huge bottle of Merlot that they had brought.  I think everyone agreed that dinner was a success!  

Not an exciting weekend but a good weekend none-the-less.  Now hopefully the rest of this day flies by so I can be back at home and snuggling on the couch!  Hope you all had a good weekend! 

XO. Tarah


No comments:

Post a Comment