Thursday, October 10, 2013

Long Weekend in Iowa

It's Thursday and I'm still catching up on sleep/life.

I always struggle coming back from a long weekend spent with the family.  Always.  It's hard for me to get back into a routine, especially when I just wanna spend all of my time with my family and none of my time working.  Sigh.

Vinnie and I headed to Iowa Thursday night and spent the weekend with my family.  My sister, brother-in-law, aunt and uncle, and cousins got to Iowa Saturday afternoon.  We spent time catching up, eating, drinking, and celebrating birthdays.




Friday afternoon my parents, brother (who just moved back in with my parents since graduating in May), V and I headed to Mississippi River Distilling Company because the first Friday of every month they debut a new liquor and have a little tasting.  This time they were debuting a coffee liquor.  We tried that out and then bought a couple of things to bring home.  We visit this place a lot when I visit because they seriously have some amazing liquors.  We decided to go with their famous River Rose Gin and a seasonal banana whiskey.  

After that we headed over to a place called Go Fish, a marina bar and grill located right next to the Mississippi River.  It was a beautiful October night so we ate out on the deck.  The food was great and we all enjoyed our time there.  After that, mom and I headed out to the store to pick up some food for the rest of the family coming over the next day and the boys headed back to the house to start a fire in the firepit.  We enjoyed another drink out by the fire and then headed inside to watch 'World War Z'.  I definitely recommend that movie!  It was awesome!

Saturday morning we woke up, had breakfast and coffee, then got to work making appetizers and sangria for when the rest of the family got there.  Everyone showed up around 1:30 and we drank sangria and ate appetizers and caught up.  I hadn't seen my aunt, uncle, and cousins in a really long time and Vinnie had never even met them (and we've been dating for 2 years) so it was great to see them.  Around 4, we piled into cars and headed to Le Claire, IA.  We visited the distillery again so that everyone could check that out and then headed to Sneaky Pete's to have a drink or two before our reservation for dinner.

My family outside the distillery


my sister, me, and brother at sneaky pete's

We had dinner at Crane and Pelican.  We had a room all to ourselves since our party was so large and the food, OMG the food!  Everyone loved their food.  I ordered salmon and it was honestly the best salmon I had ever had.  Delicious!  After dinner we headed to one other bar to play pool before heading back home to continue drinking, eating, and playing games.

The whole family

I was surprised at how early everyone left Sunday morning.  V and I slept in and the rest of the day was a lazy day spent recovering and watching football.  Monday we watched the Cardinals game and ate some food before saying good bye and heading back to Chicago.  

I miss everyone already but we had such a great time and definitely needed it.  I am always amazed at how fast time goes by when I'm visiting my family, that's one part about living in Chicago that really sucks.  I don't live close enough to any of my family members.  We always have to plan a trip in order to see them.  Oh well, at least it's only a few hours away.

Hope you all had a great weekend!  Happy Thursday!

XO. Tarah

P.S.  I'll be back tomorrow with a bit of an announcement so stay tuned!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment